100 of the Best Resources for Houston Parents
New to the Houston area or looking for some new and fresh local parenting ideas? We’ve put together a list of the 100 best resources for Houston-area families. From CPR training to the best places to have your child’s birthday party, we’ve got you covered.
CPR/First Aid Training
Learning CPR and first aid basics can mean the difference between life and death, and every parent should be familiar with what to do in case of an emergency. There are many different venues in Houston that offer CPR and first aid training, making it easily accessible for most any parent to attend a class.
- Across Texas CPR—This American Heart Association CPR training has multiple locations in the Houston area, including Katy, Sugar Land, Galveston, The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe, Tomball and several others.
- Houston CPR and Safety—Classes are held daily for CPR certification, so you can stop by at a time that’s convenient for your schedule. The facility is located at 9800 Centre Parkway #660, Houston, TX 77036.
- Bradford Emergency Care Training and Certifications—Updated hands-only CPR and new changes to first aid are covered in this class, which is held at 11207 Elmsgrove Lane, Houston, TX 77070.
- American Red Cross—A well-respected name in safety training and humanitarian efforts, this organization has been doing CPR training since the mid 1950’s. Find an American Red Cross center near you by clicking on this site.
- CPR Training Solutions—This class is taught by a full-time police officer who specializes in training other officers.
- PerSys Medical Training Center—This training center is located at 5310 Elm Street, Houston, TX 77081, and the instructors, such as paramedic Cynthia Alvarez, are specialists in their field.
- Citywide CPR—This training center handles much more than just CPR training, such as EMRT (Emergency Medical Response Training). The instructors train other medical specialists and the center is located at 7625 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX 77024.
- Cypress Creek EMS—For those who simply wish to learn CPR to help friends and family, try this facility for a free CPR course without the certification. Their address is 7111 Five Forks in Spring, TX 77379.
- Houston Methodist Hospital—For only $10 you can attend a group CPR class at this hospital and receive your certification at the end of the class. The training center address is 8335 Lantern Dr., Houston, TX 77054.
- Houston CPR—FITCORE was founded in 1989 and handles the training for CPR for infants, children and adults at 5773 Woodway #184, Houston, TX 77057.
Finding quality childcare is essential, but it can be a difficult task when you’re not sure where to turn. While we’re biased towards nanny care, we know that in-home childcare isn’t the right choice for every family. Check out these resources to choose the best childcare for your family.
- International Nanny Association—Check out this site if you are looking for a nanny to care for your children.
- Morningside Nannies—When looking for reliable childcare from a reputable agency, consider hiring a nanny from Morningside Nannies.
- NAEYC—The National Association for the Education of Young Children provides the resources you need to see if a selected daycare has received certification by the NAEYC, making it helpful during your search.
- Kids R Kids—This daycare has several different locations around Houston, and they are accredited by AdvancED.
- Primrose Schools—There are 34 different locations for this daycare/school in the Houston area.
- DFPS—The Department of Family and Protective Services provides this site so that you can check on the record of a daycare that you are considering.
- Adventure Kids Playcare—This is a drop-in childcare facility and is located at 22762 Westheimer Parkway in Katy, TX. They are open from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm Monday through Thursday and until midnight on Friday and Saturday.
- Time for Tots—Located at 9774 Katy Freeway Suite 200 East in Houston, TX 77055, this facility is a daycare and drop-in facility that doesn’t require a contract.
- Brazos Montessori—Looking for a Montessori school in the Houston area? This one is located at 2309 Williams Trace Blvd., Sugar Land, TX 77478 and follows the original Montessori methods.
- La Petite—Tour the facility at 225 Benmar Drive, Houston, TX 77060 to learn why this academy is different than other daycare centers.
Shop for Children’s Clothes and Toys
Looking for a bargain on designer duds for your kids? These retailers specialize in meeting the clothing and playtime needs of Houston area families.
- Mint Baby & Kids—Located in Uptown Park, this unique store will allow you to custom order a crib and bedding for your nursery and has a large selection of christening outfits on hand. 1121 Uptown Park Blvd., Houston, TX 77056
- Rattle Tattle—Find special occasion and dance apparel at this Houston boutique located at 8492 Highway 6 N., Houston, TX 77095.
- Little Lords n’ Ladies—This beauty salon and boutique has been open since 1984 and carries fine clothes and accessories for your little prince or princess. It’s located at 6100 Westheimer Road Suite 138 A, Houston, TX 77057.
- Hanging on a Thread-Stylish Kids Resale—A secondhand store specializing in upscale clothing, this store can be found at 249 W. 19th St. Suite C, Houston, TX 77008.
- Andree’s Corner—Check out this resale shop on 2508 Sunset Blvd., Houston, TX 77005 for your children’s clothing and toy needs.
- Crayons Children’s Resale Shop—Browse over 5000 square feet of space full of infant and children’s clothes, toys and more at their new location on 13320 Westheimer Road & Eldridge Parkway in Houston.
- Tulips and Tutus—Located at 833 Studewood St., Houston, TX 77007, this children’s boutique doesn’t have a full website, but you can check out their Facebook page.
- Haute Mommies & Bella Babies—Find high quality maternity wear as well as fashionable children’s clothing here. 477 Bay Area Blvd., Houston, TX 77058.
- Christina Marie’s Boutique—Fashionable finds for your tutu loving girls or stylish little boys can be found at this upscale boutique located at 11510 Space Center Blvd., Houston, TX 77059.
- Pout in Pink—Dancewear, leg warmers, wings, dresses and everything girlie can be found at 25250 Northwest Freeway Suite 180, Cypress, TX 77429.
Mommy and Me Classes
Looking for an activity that you can do with your child? Mommy and me classes are available to suit most every mom. From those who crave more exercise to those who want to explore the great outdoors together, you’ll find something to fit your interests here.
- The Lil Gym—Build skills and muscle control for your little one by doing a class at this gym, which has several locations in Houston.
- Swim Success—Take a swimming class with your child, from four months to four years, in this parent and tot class found at 4521 Joyce Blvd., Houston, TX 77084.
- Aqua Tots—Check out the baby swimming lessons held at 1542 West Grand Parkway South, Katy, TX 77494 or 6122 Hwy. 6, Missouri City, TX 77459.
- Define Body & Mind—Take a ‘Bundle of Joy’ yoga class at Define to learn how to work out with your baby and to learn more about your developing infant.
- Prelude Music Classes—Find the joy of music with your child up to eight months old for the babies class or up to five years old in the family class. 3701 W. Alabama Suite 210, Houston, TX 77027.
- Armand Bayou Nature Center—Introduce your two- to four-year-old to animals, plants and other natural things by taking this unusual mommy and me class.
- Learn 4 Good—Immerse your six- to 12-month old or 18-month to three-year-old in Spanish activities to give her a language advantage in the future, available at Crossing Borders in Katy. 24044 Cinco Village Center Blvd. Suite 100, Katy, TX 77494.
- Mean Green—Trying to get rid of that baby weight? This fitness class for you and your baby could be just the thing. Available in several areas in Houston.
- Kindermusic—Babies love music, so why not try a music class with your baby? These classes are available at several locations in Houston.
- Texas Swim Academy—Protect your child from accidental drowning by teaching her to swim at an early age. The academy is located at 3514 Greenbusch, Katy, TX 77494.
Houston is full of qualified practitioners who can meet your family’s healthcare needs. From emergency care to eye care, you can find a provider who can be part of your family’s wellness team.
- Memorial Hermann—Part of UT Health, this site will help you find a doctor based on the zip code you put in, your insurance and the service you require.
- Health Doctors—Search for doctors within a certain radius of your home or office and determine the kind of doctor you need, whether it’s a family doctor or a specialist.
- Houston Methodist—A well-respected hospital, Houston Methodist has in-house specialties for cancer, diabetes, heart, neurology, sports medicine and transplants.
- Texas Children’s Pediatrics—Find an extensive list of pediatricians and their office addresses to help you start your search for a pediatrician.
- Healthgrades—This site houses a list of 998 pediatricians near Houston, and enables you to find a few that you might want to interview based on location, years of practice and insurance carriers accepted.
- Dentists of Houston—Find a dentist that specializes in what you need based on your area of town.
- Houston Pediatric Dental Specialists—If you are looking for a dentist for your kids, you may want to take a look at this office located in three locations in the Houston area.
- Eye Doctor Guide—Find an eye doctor near you by searching the database on this site.
- All About Vision—Optometrists, Ophthalmologists, and other eye centers are all listed on this directory.
- Chiropractors Near You Now—By putting in your zip code, this site will give you details related to several chiropractors in your immediate area.
Museums and Other Outings
From educational museums to waterslide parks, Houston is home to a variety of family adventures. Whether you’re looking to do something for the day or for a few hours, one of these kid-friendly parent approved outings will hit the mark.
- Children’s Museum of Houston—Check out this site throughout the year to discover what events the staff have going on each season.
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science—This museum combines several different attractions in one by having a planetarium, wild life area, Giant screen and much more. You can travel back in time to watch a virtual tour of some of the earliest cave paintings known to man and then travel to the stars.
- Discovery Green—Many different events go on at this park year-round, from ‘Screen on the Green’ to outdoor yoga classes and more.
- NASA Space Center—Check out everything from rockets to where mission control sat during some of history’s most exciting moments. Kids will love the four-story play structure.
- Kemah Boardwalk—Bring the family to this carnival-like atmosphere that hosts a beautiful boardwalk overlooking the water.
- Downtown Aquarium—Let the kids pet the sting rays and visit the other under water creatures that call Houston their home along with a rare white tiger that resides above the water.
- Splashtown—Cool off at this water slide park complete with a seven-story drop ride called the ‘Brain Drain’ and the only six-lane Octopus racer in Texas.
- Houston Zoo—Come feed the giraffes and hold a bird for the hands-on portion of your zoo visit and then view many other fascinating animals.
- Sam Houston Race Park—Here you’ll find horse racing at its finest, along with many other events like poker tournaments every Friday night.
- San Jacinto Museum and Monument—Take in the view when you travel up to the observation deck 567 feet above the ground in the monument.
Looking to feed the family and have someone else clean up the mess? Head out to one of these kid-friendly Houston eateries that encourage families to dine together.
- Barnaby’s Café—This kid-friendly restaurant is unique to Houston and has a placemat to color and mac and cheese and corn dogs on the menu.
- Hickory Hollow—When you want some cowboy comfort food like chicken fried steak or barbeque you need to come to Hickory Hollow. Meals are served at family style tables and the staff is ready to serve. Smaller portions of normal menu options are available for kids and include a special treat.
- Mission Burritos—The tag line for this restaurant is fresh fast food. Mom and Dad can eat great Tex-Mex food while the kids play at the outdoor playground (only W. Alabama location).
- Niko Niko’s—Found at Historic Market Square Park, you can let the kids enjoy the playground while you enjoy some tasty food on the patio. All of the food is Greek-based and you can order breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Pappa’s Bar-B-Q—With 16 restaurants in the Houston area you should be able to find one close to you. Ages 12 and under can eat off the kids menu, which features chicken tenderloins, sliced meat or kid standbys like mac and cheese and corn dog bites.
- Star Pizza—Rated the top pizza in Houston, this unique restaurant strives to please its customers with a variety of toppings and freshly made pizzas every time.
- Maggiano’s Little Italy—In the mood for Italian? Bring the whole family to Maggiano’s to sink your fork into authentic Italian food. The kids will love the giant meatball spaghetti or other kid dishes.
- Samurai Steak—Not too expensive and kid-friendly. The chefs put on quite the show on the grill that both kids and adults will enjoy.
- Star Cinema Grill—Take in dinner and a movie at this fun restaurant and theater combo located on NASA road.
- Dave and Buster’s—The ultimate in kid fun and great food. Enjoy shopping at the Galleria and end your day by letting the kids play some games after dinner.
Birthday Party Options
Not ready to have a bunch of kids over to your house for a birthday party? Host it somewhere else instead! Partying at one of these 10 venues is sure to make the birthday kid smile.
- Mad Science—Doesn’t everyone love to watch a cool science experiment? If you have a child who loves science, have a Mad Science party. You can use their facilities near the Galleria or they will come to a venue of your choosing.
- Times Square Entertainment—Keep the kids busy with laser tag, bowling, arcade games and more at this venue. You bring your own cake and you don’t even have to clean up afterwards!
- Pigtails and Crewcuts—This salon specializes in cool kid haircuts, but they also host parties like a luau or a pirate party where the host gets to choose from a list of fun services.
- Story Book Cottage—Perfect for your little princess, this story book cottage is located in downtown Katy and the party can be a spa party or dress-up tea party.
- Bounce U—Ideal for younger children, this venue contains inflatables where the kids can run, jump and slide safely.
- Painting with a Twist—For your future artist, this venue might be fun. Bring your own food and drinks and the party guests get to paint a picture with instruction from the teacher.
- Dairy Ashford Roller Rink—If your child loves to roller skate or roller blade, this might be the place to have a birthday party. The parties are inexpensive and you can bring in your own cake.
- Dewberry Farm—This is something different if your kids have a fall birthday. Pet and feed the animals, play in the playground and enjoy the great outdoors at this farm.
- Old McDonalds Farm—Enjoy the petting zoo, train ride around the farm, pony rides and playground if you have a party here. You are welcome to bring your own food, drinks and cake and your party price includes your own reserved gazebo.
- Laser Quest Corp—Enjoy multiple laser matches for your birthday party and cool off in the party room while you enjoy your cake.
From checking out books to attending story time, hitting the library is a free way to get more edutainment into your child’s day. Check out these local libraries for books, classes and workshops.
- Central Library—Located at 500 McKinney in Houston, TX 77002, this library is open seven days a week and has an added service of offering passport services to its patrons.
- Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research—Come in and research your lineage at this library and attend workshops like the cemetery symbolism class. 5300 Caroline, Houston, TX 77004
- Hillendahl Neighborhood Library—Along with a library full of books for all ages, this library offers story time for the little ones and classes for older adults to learn about social networking. 2436 Gessner Rd., Houston, TX 77080
- Heights Neighborhood Library—Housed in a beautiful building, this library offers classes in laughter yoga and mad science. 1302 Heights Blvd., Houston, TX 77008
- Carnegie Neighborhood Library and Literacy Support Center—This library offers bilingual playgroups, health fairs and afternoon movie madness and is located at 1050 Quitman, Houston, TX 77009.
- Harris County Public Library—The Maud Marks Branch library holds several workshops to learn things like napkin folding, holiday planning and computer classes. 1815 Westgreen Blvd., Katy, TX 77450
- Julia Ideson Library—Tour this tastefully restored historic building that houses a collection of books that you can browse and read on premises. 500 McKinney, Houston, TX 77002.
- Rosenbergy Library—Located at 2310 Sealy St., Galveston, TX 77550, this library is inside a historic building and houses the Rosenberg Library Museum as well as other library books.
- Johnson Neighborhood Library—Found at 3517 Reed Rd., Houston, TX 77051, this library is open Monday through Saturday. You are free to come in and use a computer during library business hours.
- Parent Resource Library—This library is unique in that it is located at the Children’s Museum and offers resources for all sorts of parenting questions. 1500 Binz, Houston, TX 77004.
Looking to connect with other moms who can share your day to day joys and struggles? Mingle with moms and make connections with their pint-sized playmates in these Houston-area groups for moms.
← 70 Places to Take the Kids in Houston | What to Know When Relocating to Houston →